Friday, May 25, 2007

My Love for The Posh

It is so hard to explain this undying love I have for Posh, aka Vicki Beckham. It started out very slowly, I was living in London at the time and the press there was OBSESSED with her and David. I would observe this stick figurine, tanned an eerie brown-orange with these rock hard tits totally unbalanced on her body accompanied by the most beautiful husband ever. She would alternate between timbs and baggy jeans for day and the tackiest Versace frocks for evenings at Nobu. I was NOT impressed. Well, fast forward three years and the woman just started doing a total fashion turn around. She pouted her way through some of the most amazing frocks. And best of all she OWNED her looks. I don't mean she paid for the clothes, I mean she believed in everything she wore. To me this is what defines a fashionista; the ability to believe in what you are wearing, to have that inate confidence and je ne c'est quoi to bring every eye in the room to you and your ensemble. This is a trait I see in my other style loves from J.Lo to Kelis to Kate Moss to Cate Blanchett to Tracee Ellis Ross.

Now, back to my Posh. Unlike Kate Moss who is able to look so effortless in all her outfits, you can totally tell my Posh tries her damnedest. She wont eat so she can be the skinniest. She swears her 10 gallon breasts on a 1 gallon frame are real. She makes it seem like she and her husband have the best marriage despite his numerous extra marital affairs. All things that make most people hate her. Me, I love the choreography of the whole show. Which brings me to what sealed my love for her, this little documentary called The Real Beckhams. It is now about 3 years old and chronicles their move to Madrid and her failed attempts at a solo music career. Behind the glossy pictures of a sour pout, my posh is quite engaging. She is funny, she is endearing and best of all David loves her.

And, I will tell you what Posh and I have in common; we believe truly you can never take a style day off - not even a minute off, really. If you are truly stylish, it is in your blood to the point that even your sit around the house clothes are stylish; there just is no such things as dirty "mom" jeans and an old t-shirt to run errands. That is just a non sequitur. And it has nothing to do with what styles you like from preppy to hipster to diva to whatever, if you own your style you OWN it. And that is why I love Posh.

And finally, as a Memorial Day weekend treat here are the youtube links of "The Real Beckhams" parts 1-10. Enjoy! VIVA LA POSH!


part 1 part 2 part 3 part 4 part 5 part 6 part 7 part 8 part 9 part 10

No comments: